In this Policy, “we” refers to Global Institute For Tomorrow (GIFT) and “Ordinance” refers to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, Chapter 486 of the laws of Hong Kong when collecting, holding, using and/or processing your Personal Data. In doing so, we will ensure compliance by our staff to the strictest standards of security and confidentiality.
We at GIFT take the privacy and protection of your personal information seriously.
So we’ve set out below information about our processing of your personal information, what rights you have, and how you can get in touch if you want to know more.
When we say personal information, we mean information about you, such as your name, and contact details. We collect personal information from you that is necessary for us to either provide you with the product or service you’ve requested or to comply with statutory or contractual requirements. Unfortunately if you don’t provide all of the information we require this may mean we are unable to provide our products and services to you.
What data does GIFT collect and how do we use it
When you visit our website we will record your visit only as a “hit”. The web-server makes a record of your visit that includes your IP addresses (and domain names), the types and configurations of browsers, language settings, geo-locations, operating systems, previous sites visited (visitor data). We use such visitor data only for website enhancement, optimization and “security incident investigation” (e.g. tracing the origin of a suspected hacker’s attack).
At times, we may request that you voluntarily supply us with personal data. The personal data may be obtained by electronic means or in written form. Generally, this data is requested when you register for an event organized by GIFT, when you attend to events organized by GIFT, subscribe to a service provided by GIFT or when you subscribe for GIFT’s electronic news. When you enter a paid or promotional event such as training, symposium etc., we may ask for your name, company name, contact number and e-mail address so we can administer the event and notify you of the registration status. Personal data held by us will be used for the purposes specified from time to time. Please refer to our Personal Information Collection Statement on how we may use your personal data and to whom we may transfer or disclose your personal data, and your right of access to and correction of your personal data held by us.
Who we share your personal information with and why
We’ll only share your personal information with GIFT employees on a ‘as needs to know’ basis for the purposes of carrying out work related to the service / programme.
We keep your personal information for a set amount of time
We won’t keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary, either to comply with the law or to ensure that we are complying with our obligations to you and other third parties.
You’re in control
When it comes to how we use your personal data, you have the right to:
- request a copy of your personal data (we have the right to charge a reasonable fee to complete this request);
- request that we correct anything that’s wrong, or complete any incomplete personal data;
- complain to a data protection authority or another independent regulator about how we’re using it.
If you currently reside in an EU jurisdiction, additional rights under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) may apply. As such, you may:>
- ask us to delete your personal data if it is no longer needed for the purposes set out above or if there is no other legal basis for the processing;
- object to us using your personal data for direct marketing (including related profiling) or other processing based on legitimate interests;
- request that we provide a copy of your personal data in a structured and commonly used format in certain circumstances; and
- limit how we use your personal data or withdraw your consents (including automated decision making) you have given for the processing of your personal data.
If you want to do any of these things, or would like an explanation as regards these rights, we’ve explained how you can get in touch in the Contact Us section.
Acting on someone else’s behalf?
If you give us personal information about another person (or persons), we’ll take that to mean they have appointed and authorised you to act on their behalf. This includes providing consent to:
- our processing of their personal information
- you getting any information protection notices on their behalf.
If want to exercise your rights or if you require any other information about any other part of this notice, you can contact us in a number of different ways.
Write to us at:
Data Protection Officer Global Institute For Tomorrow Limited Suite 1608 Cityplaza One 1111 King’s Road, Taikoo Shing Hong Kong
Email us on: